Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Christmas Time

I love Christmas. I love the special celebrations of Christ as Baby Jesus, and remembering what a precious gift God gave us on the very first Christmas. I love the decorations, the special music on the radio, the thought of Santa on his way. But I can’t really say that I love Christmas time, because it is always so stressful and hectic. Shopping, Shopping, Shopping with no end in sight and add that to all the Christmas get-togethers, Christmas Eve and Christmas day dinners and you have yourself a recipe for high blood pressure, stroke, heart-attack, migraine headaches and a multitude of other stress related health issues. What ever happened to the old adage “Christmas is a happy time, a time of love, giving and sharing”, and “Giving is better than receiving”? I suppose it should be. But let’s get real people, I live in America, where expectations run wild, schedules are way out of control, traffic is horrible, lines are long, people are frustrated, and money is no object. Hold on just a minute, what was that about money being no object?? Let’s change that to my kids think that money is no object and most people shop like money is no object until there is nothing left. Then what you end up with is a house full of stuff that is forgotten the next day or is not as good or big or pretty or bright or fast (you get the picture) as Sally’s or Jimmy’s stuff. Then the kids demand that their stuff be returned, so they can get the same or better stuff, while Mom and Dad are worried about how they are going to pay their January house payment. Just thinking about it is enough to give me a headache. I tell myself every year that I am not going to do that again. I am going to be better and start decorating before Thanksgiving and have my presents all bought before December 1st, so I can really enjoy Christmas. I told myself that again this year. One year, I am really going to stick to this promise. Maybe (hopefully) it will be this year. My 11 year old son told me last night as he read my keychain that says “She who dies with the most supplies wins.”, that 78% of people that collect stuff are unhappy with their lives and are trying to fill that void”. Wow!!! What remarkable wisdom!! I am gently reminded that God speaks to me in many ways, when I am willing to listen, and how blessed I am to have him in my life.

No comments: